KZN PREMIER CALLS FOR AN URGENT INVESTIGATION INTO ALLEGED ABUSE OF A CHILD DURING A SCUFFLE WITH MUNICIPAL PEACE OFFICERS
KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala has called for an urgent investigation into the alleged abuse of a child during a scuffle involving municipal peace officers.
Premier Zikalala has noted with concern a disturbing video of KwaDukuza municipal peace officers allegedly trying to drag a screaming child while his father tried to pull him from them.
The video, which has gone viral on social media, was taken at a complex in Ballito on Sunday morning.
The peace officers were responding to a complaint after several families had been seen at the beach that morning.
The Premier has instructed Transport, Community Safety and Liaison MEC Bheki Ntuli and Cooperative and Local Governance MEC Sipho Hlomuka to launch an urgent investigation into the alleged incident and provide him with a report.
"As the KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Government we do not condone any form of abuse against citizens, especially children, during the Covid-19 national lockdown," said Zikalala.
The Premier said that while municipal peace officers have a responsibility to maintain peace in their neighborhoods during the lockdown, the abuse of children would not be tolerated as it is a violation of the Constitution.
Our country's Constitution promotes special protection for children because they are among the most vulnerable members of society.
"We appeal for cool heads during this difficult time and also appeal to our people to respect the regulations of the lockdown to prevent any unnecessary confrontation with law enforcement officers," he added.
ISSUED BY THE OFFICE OF THE KZN PREMIER
For enquiries, contact:
KZN Provincial Government Spokesperson
082 884 2403
KZN Premier Media Liaison
083 253 0748
Click to View original release here